Help for Members Impacted by Hurricane Hilary in CaliforniaSeptember 13, 2023
We are making temporary changes to health plan benefits to provide relief and help ensure healthcare access for members who live in the California counties impacted by Hurricane Hilary.
The changes are in effect from September 12 through October 11, 2023, for Siskiyou County.
The changes are in effect between August 19 and September 17, 2023, for the following counties:
- Los Angeles
- San Bernardino
- San Diego
The changes also apply to emergency responders who have been activated by their state or local agency, but who do not live in the impacted area.
For assistance during this emergency, please call us at 833-285-4030.
We want to help make sure you have access to the healthcare you need. We can help with finding available doctors, refilling prescription drugs, and other health plan questions. We are available by phone Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. PT.
Emergency or urgent care
- You can receive emergency or urgent care from any doctor or hospital, even if they are not in your plan’s network. We will pay the claims as if they are in your plan’s network.
- If your doctor’s office or healthcare facility is closed because of the emergency, or if you are unable to travel there, call us at 833-285-4030. We can help you find another doctor.
- If you’re in a care management program and need to reach them, call 833-285-4030.
- If your Anthem plan covers your prescription medications, you can receive up to a 30-day emergency refill at any pharmacy now, even if it’s not in your plan’s network.
- If you use Anthem’s mail-order pharmacy and your address changed, call us at 833-285-4030 so we can make sure to send your medicine to the right place.
Medical equipment that is lost or damaged
- We can help you replace your equipment (also called durable medical equipment or DME). Call us at 833-285-4030.
Eyeglasses or contact lenses that are lost or damaged
- We can help you replace your eyeglasses or contact lenses. Call us at 833-285-4030.
Preapprovals or referrals
- You have more time to request them. There won’t be any late fees. Call 833-285-4030 if you need an extension.
Filing a claim
- You and your doctors have more time to file claims. Call us at 833-285-4030 if you need an extension.
Health plan premiums
- If you receive a bill directly from Anthem for your monthly insurance premium and are experiencing financial difficulties as a result of the emergency, you have more time to pay your bill. Please call us at 833-285-4030 to discuss options.
Mental health support and life challenges
- Anthem’s Employee Assistance Program (EAP) offers mental health support and resources to help with legal and financial concerns, dependent-care needs, and other life challenges. Call the 24/7 EAP crisis line at 877-208-8240 or go to anthemeap.com and use the login: EAP Can Help.
- Our website also offers resources for mental health support.
- Crisis support is available if you or someone you know is having suicidal thoughts or behavior, is experiencing emotional distress, or is behaving in a way that could harm others. Call 988 or go to 988lifeline.org to reach the confidential Suicide & Crisis Lifeline. Help is available 24/7.
The time period for updated support and care may change based on the conditions. Please check back here for updates.
These changes are for members with Anthem group health plans through their employers, Anthem individual and family plans, Medi-Cal, or Medicare Advantage, Medicare Part D, or Medicare Supplement plans. These changes are not for Federal Employee Health Benefit Plans, which have their own guidelines.
If you need additional support, please call us at 833-285-4030.