Help for Members Impacted by the Winter Storms Emergency in CaliforniaMarch 16, 2023
We are making temporary changes to health plan benefits to provide relief for members who live in California and are impacted by the winter storms emergency. The changes are in effect for the following counties in California:
- Amador, Kern, Los Angeles, Madera, Mariposa, Mono, Nevada, San Bernardino, San Luis Obispo, Santa Barbara, Sierra, Sonoma, and Tulare counties ― March 1, 2023, through March 30, 2023
- Butte, El Dorado, Fresno, Humboldt, Imperial, Inyo, Lake, Mendocino, Merced, Monterey, Napa, Placer, Plumas, Sacramento, San Francisco, San Mateo, Santa Clara, Santa Cruz, Stanislaus, Tuolumne, and Yuba counties ― March 8, 2023, through April 6, 2023
- Calaveras, Del Norte, Glenn, Kings, San Benito, and San Joaquin counties ― March 12, 2023, through April 10, 2023
- Alpine, Orange, and Trinity counties ― March 14, 2023, through April 12, 2023
The changes also apply to emergency responders who have been activated by their state or local agency, but who do not live in the impacted area.
For assistance during this emergency, please call us at 833-285-4030. We are available Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. PT. We can help with finding available doctors, refilling prescription drugs, and other health plan questions.
Emergency or urgent care
- You can receive emergency or urgent care from any doctor or hospital, even if they are not in your plan’s network. We will pay the claims as if they are in your plan’s network.
- If your doctor’s office or healthcare facility is closed because of the emergency, or if you are unable to travel there, call us at 833-285-4030. We can help you find another doctor.
- If you’re in a care management program and need to reach them, call 833-285-4030.
- If your Anthem plan covers your prescription medications, you can receive up to a 30-day emergency refill at any pharmacy now, even if it’s not in your plan’s network.
- If you use Anthem’s mail-order pharmacy and your address changed, call us at 833-285-4030 so we can make sure to send your medicine to the right place.
Medical equipment that is lost or damaged
• We can help you replace your equipment (also called durable medical equipment or DME). Call us at 833-285-4030.
Eyeglasses or contact lenses that are lost or damaged
• We can help you replace your eyeglasses or contact lenses. Call us at 833-285-4030.
Preapprovals or referrals
• You have more time to request them. There won’t be any late fees. Call 833-285-4030 if you need an extension.
Filing a claim
• You and your doctors have more time to file claims. Call us at 833-285-4030 if you need an extension.
Mental health or other additional support
• Anthem’s Employee Assistance Program (EAP) offers mental health support as well as resources on our website to help with legal and financial concerns and dependent-care needs. Call the EAP crisis line 24/7 at 877-208-8240 or go to anthemeap.com and use the log in: EAP Can Help.
Health plan premiums
• If you receive a bill directly from Anthem for your monthly insurance premium and are experiencing financial difficulties as a result of the emergency, you have more time to pay your bill. Please call us at 833-285-4030 to discuss options.
These relaxed guidelines are in effect for the California counties listed above.
The changes also apply to emergency responders who have been activated to the impacted area by their state or local agency, but who do not live in the impacted area.
The time period for updated support and care may change based on the conditions. Please check back here for updates.
These changes are for members with Anthem group health plans through their employers, Anthem individual and family plans, Medi-Cal, or Medicare Advantage, Medicare Part D, or Medicare Supplement plans. These changes are not for Federal Employee Health Benefit Plans, which have their own guidelines.
If you need additional support, please call us at 833-285-4030.