Help for Members Impacted by the Winter Storms and Flooding Emergency in CaliforniaFebruary 06, 2024
We’re making temporary changes to health plan benefits to provide relief and ensure healthcare access for our members who are impacted by the winter storms emergency in California and related flooding, high surf conditions, mudslides, and debris flows.
The changes are in effect for:
- Humboldt, Imperial, Monterey, San Mateo, and Santa Cruz counties from February 2 through March 3, 2024.
- Diego and Ventura counties from January 23 through February 21, 2024.
The changes also apply to emergency responders who have been activated to the impacted area by their state or local agency, but who do not live in the impacted area.
For assistance during this emergency, please call us at 833-285-4030
We want to help make sure you have access to the healthcare you need. We can help with finding available doctors, refilling prescription drugs, and other health plan questions. We’re available by phone Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. PT.
Temporary benefit changes
Emergency or urgent care
- You can receive emergency or urgent care from any doctor or hospital, even if they are not in your plan’s network. We will pay the claims as if they are in your plan’s network.
- If your doctor’s office or healthcare facility is closed because of the emergency, or if you are unable to travel there, call us at 833-285-4030. We can help you find another doctor.
- If you’re in a care management program and need to reach them, call 833-285-4030.
Prescription drug refills
- If your Anthem plan covers your prescription medicines, you can receive up to a 30-day emergency refill at any pharmacy now, even if it’s not in your plan’s network.
- If you use Anthem’s home delivery pharmacy and your address changed, call us at 833-285-4030 so we can make sure to send your medicine to the right place.
Medical equipment that is lost or damaged
- We can help you replace your equipment (also called durable medical equipment or DME). Call us at 833-285-4030.
Eyeglasses or contact lenses that are lost or damaged
- We can help you replace your eyeglasses or contact lenses. Call us at 833-285-4030.
Preapprovals or referrals
- You have more time to request them. There won’t be any late fees. Call 833-285-4030 if you need an extension.
Filing a claim
- You and your doctors have more time to file claims. Call us at 833-285-4030 if you need an extension.
Health plan premiums
- If you receive a bill directly from Anthem for your monthly insurance premium and are experiencing financial difficulties as a result of the emergency, you have more time to pay your bill. Please call us at 833-285-4030 to discuss options.
Mental health support and life challenges
- Anthem’s Employee Assistance Program (EAP) offers mental health support and resources to help with legal and financial concerns, dependent-care needs, and other life challenges. Call the 24/7 EAP crisis line at 877-208-8240.
- Our Anthem website also offers resources for mental health support.
- Crisis support is available if you or someone you know is having suicidal thoughts or behavior, is experiencing emotional distress, or is behaving in a way that could harm others. Call 988 or go to 988lifeline.org to reach the confidential Suicide & Crisis Lifeline. Help is available 24/7.
The time period for updated support and care may change based on the emergency conditions. Please check back here for updates.
These changes are for members with Anthem group health plans through their employers, or Anthem individual and family plans. They do not apply to Medicaid, Medicare, Medicare Part D, Medicare Advantage, Federal Employee Health Benefit Plans, or fully insured trust funds. These plans have their own guidelines.
If you need additional support, please call us at 833-285-4030.