Anthem Blue Cross to Offer Free Flu Vaccine Clinic at State Capitol on Wednesday
In response to the deadly flu season where nearly 100 Californians have perished from the flu and related complications, Anthem Blue Cross is offering a free flu vaccine clinic at the State Capitol on Wednesday, January 29 from 12 noon to 4 p.m.
The free vaccines are available to the general public, not just Anthem Blue Cross members. There is no charge or co-pay for the vaccines.
When: 12 noon to 4 p.m.
Wednesday, January 29, 2014
Where: Room 127
Sacramento, CA 95818
What: Free flu vaccine clinic, sponsored by Anthem Blue Cross. The offer is good while supplies last on a first come, first serve basis.
- Statewide, there have been 95 confirmed influenza related deaths, reported the California Department of Public Health on Jan. 24, the most recent information available. Of those 95 deaths, ten have been confirmed in Sacramento County.
- Usually, the flu season doesn’t peak in California until late February or March, but this varies annually.
- The Centers for Disease Control recommends a yearly flu vaccine for everyone 6 months of age and older as the first and most important step in protecting against this serious disease. While there are many different flu viruses, the flu vaccine is designed to protect against the three main flu strains that research indicates will cause the most illness during the flu season. Getting the flu vaccine as soon as it becomes available each year is always a good idea, and the protection you get from vaccination will last throughout the flu season.
- While everyone should get a flu vaccine this season, it’s especially important for some people to get vaccinated. Those people include the following:
- People who are at high risk of developing serious complications (like pneumonia) if they get sick with the flu
- People who have certain medical conditions including asthma, diabetes, and chronic lung disease
- Pregnant women
- People younger than 5 years (and especially those younger than 2), and people 65 years and older
Wednesday’s flu vaccine clinic is the continuation of Anthem’s efforts to provide vaccines to those in our community. This is the third free flu vaccine clinic Anthem has hosted this flu season, with the other two in San Diego and Long Beach. Anthem also held a flu vaccine clinic at the State Capitol in Jan. 2013.
In 2011 and 2012, Anthem distributed hundreds of Whooping Cough vaccines to students who needed the vaccination before they could enroll in the 7th through 12th grades.