Anthem Blue Cross Helps Hundreds of Federally Qualified Health Centers Expand Services and Access to Care for Californians
February 04, 2021
- Telehealth Capabilities: Anthem has provided grants and funding to help FQHC’s implement and launch e-consult capabilities. Supports have also enabled FQHC’s the capability to offer specialty care expertise to patients via telemedicine.
- Telehealth Equipment: Anthem has deployed hundreds of digital kiosks that enable FQHC’s to offer telehealth, video interpretation services, access to digital information and other innovative services to patients. Anthem has also provided hundreds of home telehealth kits to facilitate telehealth visits between FQHC’s and patients.
- Health Home Capabilities: Anthem has provided funding that allows FQHC’s that work through the California Health Homes Program to expand their ability to reach, engage and support individuals who are experiencing homelessness.
- Advanced Technology and Operating Systems: Anthem has provided funds that help FQHC’s implement new technology, upgrade their operating system, replace electronic health record systems and more, to become more effective and efficient.
- Exam Room Upgrades, Equipment and PPE: Anthem has helped FQHC’s upgrade their exam rooms and acquire new equipment, including ultrasound machines, retinal cameras, vital monitors and more. Anthem has also provided hundreds of FQHCs with face masks and hand sanitizer to meet critical demand.
- Vaccination Efforts: Anthem continues to work with several FQHC’s to provide the support needed to set up large scale vaccination and testing events, particularly drive-thru flu clinics in minority, underserved and at-risk communities with high populations of uninsured individuals.
- Public Outreach Campaigns: Anthem is helping FQHC’s adopt innovative approaches to patient outreach and support intended to engage reaching patients and close care gaps.
- Financial Incentives for Quality Results: Anthem has distributed more than a million dollars in rewards to FQHC’s that have made significant progress in enhancing quality care and improving health outcomes.
Thousand Oaks, Calif. (Feb. 3, 2020) – Amid the ongoing pandemic and economic fallout, Anthem Blue Cross has assisted hundreds of Federally Qualified Health Centers (FQHC’s) with more than $2 million in financial support for telehealth, patient outreach, operational upgrades and other enhancements that allows them to keep up with emerging needs.
FQHC’s play a critical role in serving nearly five million Californians who live in urban, rural and underserved areas, especially those with low incomes and inadequate or no health insurance coverage. Over the past year, as hospital systems have been overwhelmed, responding to the pandemic, FQHC’s have been essential for filling gaps and meeting health needs. Anthem’s collaboration and contributions have been critical as FQHC’s have had to expand and enhance their capabilities and services.
“Anthem Blue Cross recognizes the central role FQHC’s have in the lives of our members, our communities and individuals across all of California, and we value their partnership in our shared mission to improve the health of humanity,” said Dr. Barsam Kasravi, President, Anthem Blue Cross, Medi-Cal. “The pandemic may have left many organizations and their patients feeling unsettled, but Anthem is proud to serve as a partner, resource and leader that contributes support and innovative solutions to making healthcare simpler, more effective and more accessible.”
Anthem funding is supporting important FQHC initiatives, including:
“WellSpace Health serves the needs of more than 100,000 people in Sacramento, Placer, and Amador counties, who have experienced unprecedented challenges this past year amid the ongoing pandemic,” said Dr. Jonathan Porteus, CEO of WellSpace Health. “We have had to think outside the box, pivot and come up with innovative workarounds that would not have been possible without Anthem’s support. We are grateful for Anthem’s collaboration and partnership as we continue to help patients achieve better health.”
According to the Health Resources and Services Administration, nearly 30 million people in the U.S. rely on FQHC’s for care, including 1 in 5 Medicaid benefit recipients. As one of California’s largest coordinators of Medi-Cal program benefits, Anthem Blue Cross works with hundreds of FQHC’s across 29 California counties. Anthem is also expanding supports and joint initiatives with select FQHC’s in targeted regions such as rural counties and those bearing the heaviest impact from the pandemic. Providers who are interested in learning more or inquiring about Anthem supports are urged to visit the Anthem Blue Cross Provider site at https://providers.anthem.com/california-provider/home.
About Anthem Blue Cross
Anthem Blue Cross has been serving the health insurance needs of California residents since 1937. Anthem Blue Cross, together with its branded affiliates, provides health care services to more than 8.2 million health plan members in California, including a broad network of more than 65,000 providers. Offering a full continuum of product and coverage options, Anthem Blue Cross provides customers with unparalleled choice and flexibility in meeting their health plan needs. These options are continually fine-tuned to enhance and ensure access to affordable, quality health care. Anthem, with its strong track record for innovation, focuses on progressive products and services designed to improve the health status of all Californians. Unique offerings available in the individual, small group, large group, senior and Medi-Cal markets include a full range of integrated medical and specialty products. Anthem Blue Cross is the trade name of Blue Cross of California. Anthem Blue Cross and Anthem Blue Cross Life and Health Insurance Company are independent licensees of the Blue Cross Association. To learn more, visit www.anthem.com/ca. Also, follow us on Twitter at https://twitter.com/anthemBC_News or on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/AnthemBlueCrossMediCal.
Ph: (916) 584-6043
Ph: (916) 584-6043