Anthem Blue Cross (Anthem) announced it has revised its medical, vision and pharmacy guidelines and is offering additional support to help ensure its members affected by the ongoing wildfires have access to essential prescription medications and other healthcare related services.
Relaxed Member Benefit Guidelines
The following benefit guidelines are effective August 18, 2020 through September 17, 2020, or until further notice, and pertain to Anthem members affected by the wildfires in California, including emergency personnel who are Anthem members.
- Anthem will allow a 30-day emergency prescription refill of maintenance medication for affected members.
- Anthem will allow affected members to request replacement of durable medical equipment and supplies.
- Anthem will waive the notification time limit of medical necessity reviews for affected members.
- Anthem will extend the deadlines for filing claims for affected members.
- Anthem will provide a 30-day leniency period for affected members to make their premium payment due dates.
- Anthem will allow members to access out-of-network providers if an in-network provider is unavailable due to the wildfires or if the member is out of the area due to displacement.
- Anthem will allow affected members to get a replacement pair of lost or broken glasses or contacts at no cost.
In addition to the relaxed benefit guidelines mentioned above, Anthem is offering additional support for affected members in California.
- Opening Up Crisis Support through Anthem Blue Cross’ Employee Assistance Program
Anthem members and emergency personnel affected by the wildfires can access Anthem’s Employee Assistance Program (EAP) that provides free support services to help with stressful situations and financial or legal concerns. Members and emergency personnel can access Anthem’s EAP crisis line toll-free at (877) 208-8240.
- Broadening Telehealth Services to All Members at No Costs
Anthem is also offering no-cost access to Anthem’s telehealth service, LiveHealth Online
for affected members. LiveHealth Online
provides 24/7 live video access to board certified doctors for non-emergency health conditions and appointment-based access to licensed psychologists on personal mobile devices. For more information visit www.livehealthonline.com
or call 1-888-548-3432 (TTY 711).
The relaxed guidelines are for Anthem members enrolled in group health plans through their employers, Anthem individual and family plans, Anthem Medicare Advantage and Part D plans, and Medi-Cal plans. They are not for members enrolled in the Federal Employee Health Benefit Plan. These revised guidelines have some overlap with existing changes Anthem has made to address COVID-19.
Anthem continues to closely monitor the wildfires across California and may make further changes in the future.
# # #
About Anthem Blue Cross
Anthem Blue Cross has been serving the health insurance needs of California residents since 1937. Anthem Blue Cross, together with its branded affiliates, provides health care services to more than 8.2 million health plan members in California, including a broad network of more than 65,000 providers. Anthem Blue Cross is the trade name of Blue Cross of California. Anthem Blue Cross and Anthem Blue Cross Life and Health Insurance Company are independent licensees of the Blue Cross Association. To learn more, visit www.anthem.com/ca
. Also, follow us on Twitter at https://twitter.com/anthemBC_News or Facebook http://www.facebook.com/AnthemBlueCross.