Anthem Blue Cross and Blue Shield Announces Winners of the Get Active, Get Fit School Challenge
25 Virginia Schools Win a Live Dance Party Hosted by Radio Disney AM 1290 Courtesy of Anthem Blue Cross and Blue Shield
RICHMOND, Va.—Jan. 10, 2013—Anthem Blue Cross and Blue Shield today announced the winners of the Get Active, Get Fit School Challenge. An effort between Anthem and Radio Disney AM 1290, Get Active, Get Fit is designed to motivate kids and families to achieve fitness together by engaging in fun activities. In order to successfully complete the challenge, students had to be active for a minimum of 40 of the 55 days during the event, which ran from Oct. 1, 2012 through Nov. 24, 2012.
The 25 schools with the highest percentage of participation in the program have won a live dance party at their school hosted by Radio Disney AM 1290. In addition, five schools that completed the challenge were awarded new gym equipment packages valued at $500 through a random drawing.
“The true purpose of Get Active, Get Fit is to get kids up off of the couch, and outside playing and being active,” said C. Burke King, president, Anthem Blue Cross and Blue Shield. “We are very pleased with the large number of children who participated and hope that programs like this can show kids how easy it can be to make a healthy, active lifestyle part of their daily routine.”
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, approximately 17 percent (or 12.5 million) of children and adolescents aged 2—19 years are obese. Since 1980, obesity prevalence among children and adolescents has nearly tripled.
In 2012, the event’s third year in Virginia, more than 157,000 students at 332 elementary schools participated. Nearly 384,000 students nationwide signed up to participate in this year’s Get Active, Get Fit School Challenge in Colorado, Georgia, Maine, New Hampshire, Ohio, Upstate New York, Virginia and Wisconsin.
Here is the list of the schools that won a Radio Disney dance party and the cities/counties where they are located:
• Acquinton Elementary School, King William County
• An Achievable Dream Elementary School, City of Newport News
• Atkins Elementary School, Smyth County
• Bellevue Elementary School, City of Richmond
• Chatham Elementary School, Pittsylvania County
• Churchland Primary and Intermediate School, City of Portsmouth
• Claremont Immersion Elementary School, City of Arlington
• David A. Harrison Elementary School, Prince George County
• Edgemont Primary Elementary School, City of Covington
• Gayton Elementary School, Henrico County
• Ghent Elementary School, City of Norfolk
• Hampton Oaks Elementary School, Stafford County
• Hilton Elementary School, Scott County
• J.E.B. Stuart Elementary School, City of Richmond
• McIntosh Elementary School, City of Newport News
• Meadows of Dan Elementary School, Patrick County
• Millboro Elementary School, Bath County
• Mt. Airy Elementary School, Pittsylvania County
• Phenix Elementary School, Charlotte County
• Richard Bowling Elementary School, City of Norfolk
• Skipwith Elementary School, Henrico County
• Sugar Grove Combined School, Smyth County
• Twin Hickory Elementary School, Henrico County
• Valley Elementary School, Bath County
• Yuma Elementary School, Scott County
The five elementary schools that won $500 worth of gym equipment through a random drawing are:
• Albert Harris Elementary School, City of Martinsville
• Bass Hoover Elementary School, Frederick County
• Cedar Bluff Elementary School, Tazewell County
• Forrest Elementary School, City of Hampton
• Greene County Primary School, Greene County
About Anthem Blue Cross and Blue Shield in Virginia
Anthem Health Plans of Virginia, Inc. trades as Anthem Blue Cross and Blue Shield in Virginia, and its service area is all of Virginia except for the City of Fairfax, the Town of Vienna, and the area east of State Route 123. Anthem Blue Cross and Blue Shield and its affiliated HMO HealthKeepers, Inc. are independent licensees of the Blue Cross Blue Shield Association. ®ANTHEM is a registered trademark of Anthem Insurance Companies, Inc. The Blue Cross and Blue Shield names and symbols are registered marks of the Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association. Additional information about Anthem Blue Cross and Blue Shield in Virginia is available at www.anthem.com. Also, follow us on Twitter at www.twitter.com/healthjoinin, on Facebook at www.facebook.com/HealthJoinIn, or visit our YouTube channel at www.youtube.com/healthjoinin.
About Radio Disney
Radio Disney is the #1, 24-hour radio network devoted to kids, tweens and families. Kids help pick the music that is played and are encouraged to interact via a toll-free phone line to the Radio Disney studio. The network's current playlist, driven by listener requests and representing major record labels, includes recording artists Selena Gomez, Justin Bieber, Taylor Swift, One Direction, Katy Perry, Cody Simpson, Carly Rae Jepsen and Cher Lloyd. The network is available on 31 owned terrestrial radio stations and is also available via RadioDisney.com, Sirius XM satellite radio on channel 79, iTunes Radio Tuner, mobile phones, the Radio Disney iPhone and Android Apps, and the Radio Disney Facebook page.