Affordable Connectivity ProgramJanuary 19, 2023
A Way to Help Families Pay for Internet
Having reliable internet access is an important part of life. The internet helps us stay connected and find information, and many of us need it for school, our jobs, or even healthcare. However, not everyone can afford it. Making the internet more accessible is one way we can improve the whole health of our communities. The Affordable Connectivity Program can help.
What is the Affordable Connectivity Program?
The Affordable Connectivity Program is a government program that helps families who may need assistance pay for internet access. Qualified households can receive:
- Up to a $30/month discount on internet service.
- Up to a $75/month discount on internet service if they live on certain Tribal lands.
- Up to a $100 one-time discount on a laptop, desktop, or tablet bought through a participating internet provider.
Only one monthly service discount and one device discount is available per household. Learn more about what qualifies as a household.
Who is eligible for the program?
A household is eligible for the Affordable Connectivity Program if:
- The household income is 200% or less than the Federal Poverty Guidelines.
- Someone in the household (including a child or dependent):
- Participates in certain government assistance programs such as the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), Medicaid, Social Security Income (SSI), the Free and Reduced-Price School Lunch Program or School Breakfast Program, or others.
- Participates in certain Tribal assistance programs, such as Head Start, Tribal Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF), or others.
- Received a Federal Pell Grant during the current award year.
- Is already eligible for a participating internet provider’s families who may need assistance internet program.
- Already receives a Lifeline benefit (another government program providing discounts on internet and phone service).
Learn more about who qualifies for the program. To apply, you’ll likely need to show proof you qualify, such as an official letter or your latest tax return. Explore a list of acceptable documents.
How to apply
You can apply for the Affordable Connectivity Program online or by mail. You can also ask your current internet provider if they participate in the program — they may be able to help you apply. Learn more at affordableconnectivity.gov.