Statement Regarding Anthem Blue Cross and Blue Shield’s Response to Eastern Kentucky Flooding
August 05, 2022
- Donation of $50,000 to Foundation for Appalachian Kentucky so local shelters in affected areas can purchase needed recovery items, including shovels to dig up mud and debris, water, cleaning supplies, personal hygiene items and related baby items.
- Donation of $50,000 to the Governor’s Eastern Kentucky Relief Fund.
- Continuing outreach to our members directly through phone, email, and text, particularly to those who are medically frail or facing challenges related to social drivers of health.
- Collaboration with Kentucky’s doctors, hospitals, and care providers to accommodate their needs as they continue providing access to care.
- Ensuring expedited access to medical care, medication, and behavioral health for our members.
- Ongoing contact with our employer clients and business, community, and state partners to understand how we can assist.
- Delivery of more than $5,000 in cleaning supplies to local shelters across impacted counties
- Donation of over 180 boxed fans to dry out homes and businesses, and help with heating, cooling issues.
- Matching our associates’ donations to disaster response efforts with a 100% match from the Anthem Foundation.
- Leveraging Anthem Foundation’s grants to the following organizations:
- $1 million grant to the American Red Cross’ national Annual Disaster Giving Program, helping the Red Cross’ immediate response in Kentucky and other impacted states.
- $100,000 grant to Americares, enabling deployment of medicine, supplies and other assistance in Kentucky and other impacted states.
- $250,000 grant to Direct Relief, allowing for quick and direct response to specific request from local partners, as coordinated with those of other international organizations and government authorities to ensure efficient use of resources.
Anthem Blue Cross and Blue Shield in Kentucky is committed to the communities in which we live and work and have served for more than 80 years. We mourn the loss of life and the immense destruction these floods have left behind. We also rally to our neighbors’ aid in these moments, and we’re uplifted by the nationwide response.
Anthem has mobilized a multi-faceted response to assist our members, partners, and communities. Our teams are on the ground, working alongside state and municipal partners to determine needs across all counties impacted by flash flooding and we are mobilizing resources and people to assist in any way we can. These include but are not limited to:
Anthem continues to monitor the situation closely and we will take additional steps as necessary to ensure that our members have access the care and support they need when they need it most.